Basilica of Sant'Ambrogio

Contact Details

Basilica of Sant'Ambrogio

Milan
Italy

The Basilica of Sant'Ambrogio (St. Ambrose) is a church in Milan, northern Italy.

One of the most ancient churches in Italy, it was built by Bishop Ambrose in 379-386, in an area where numerous martyrs of the Roman persecutions had been buried. The first name of the church was in fact Basilica Martyrum.

In the following centuries the edifice underwent several restorations and partial reconstructions, assuming the current appearance in 1099, when it was rebuilt in Romanesque architecture. The plan of the original edifice was maintained, with an apse and two aisles, all with apses, and a portico with elegant archs supported by semicolumns and pilasters preceding the entrance. The latter was used to house the disciples (catecumeni) coming to Mass to receive baptism (this habit disappeared in the early 11th century).

The flat appearance of the hut-like façade is typical of Lombard medieval architecture. It has two loggias, the lower one with three arcades of equal dimensions joining the portico. The upper loggia has five arcades of different height that follow the ceiling. It is used by the bishop of Milan to bless the people attending outside.

The basilica has two bell towers. The right one, called dei Monaci ("of the Monks"), is from the 7th century and has a severe appearance. The left and higher one belongs to 1144, the last two floors added in 1889.

The interior of the basilica has the same size as the external portico.
 

E-newsletter Signup

Sign up to our E-newsletter for latest events & offers:

Back to top