San Gottardo

Contact Details

San Gottardo

Milan
Italy

San Gottardo in Corte or San Gottardo a Palazzo is a church in Milan, northern Italy.

It was built as Ducal Chapel by Azzone Visconti in 1330, and finished in 1336, as indicated by a write on the walls. It was originally entitled to the Blessed Virgin but Azzone, who suffered of gout, later changed the dedication to St. Gotthard of Hildesheim, patron of the gouty. The design was by Francesco Pecorari from Cremona.

The octagonal bell tower has the first example of public watch (before sun-dials were used).

The interior was restored in the Neoclassicist era by Giocondo Albertolli. Of the original church, part of Giottesque Crucifixion, a canvas with St. Charles Borromeo by Giovan Battista Crespi and the tomb of Azzone Visconti remain.

E-newsletter Signup

Sign up to our E-newsletter for latest events & offers:

Back to top